Thursday, January 27, 2011

Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge #88


Isn't he a handsome little fella, I just went all warm and squishy inside when I found him. I picked up this marvelous book at a thrift store for the unbelievable sum of $1.99 titled... ummm ... dagnabit!! I am in Portland at my daughter's house and the book is in Marcola in my craft room. When I get home I will contact anybody who wants to know with the name.

Back to where I was going. This book is a marvelous collection of photos taken by a local artist. When everyone else was taking very stern almost sad looking portrait photographs, his are more candid and relaxed. The photos are so amazing and such a slice of life. I picked it up to use the photos as I have done here but have only managed to remove a few from the book. It is just such a pleasure to look through it that I find myself thumbing through the pages and saying hi to my old friends.

I am entering this card in Priscillastyles sketch challenge #88. I used Hero Arts Butterfly Flowers to stamp a border along one side of this patterned paper. I then colored in the flowers with a water brush and distress ink in Victorian Velvet. I figured a Victorian photograph deserved a Victorian color...
I also used the stamp plus a few others on cream cardstock. After warming them up with vintage photo (again appropriate), I used the same water brush technique to add a touch of blush.
The butterflies are punched from scraps with a Martha Stewart punch and then glimmer misted. To give them a hint of a body, I used the water brush and distress ink down their backs. I think it helped define them a bit.

I taught a great class last night. Great because it was jam packed with a marvelous group of talented women. Just being around them made me feel alive and inventive. This morning I felt alive, stoved up and a bit grumpy... but that is quickly wearing off as the sun is shining brightly and I have another class tonight! I will post pics and a little more info if I remember. Last night the camera set on my table behind me all night... sighing, waiting to be noticed... coughing a bit now and then... clearing it's throat...ahem.. ahem.. alas... nothing. If I forget it again tonight, I am afraid it will divorce me. Some cameras just take it so personal. Geeze.

anyhoo.... This week party, next week doctors...ugh.

as always, ENJOY! the oz

18 comments:

  1. poor camera... sorry he felt so neglected! oh how i would love to take a class from you, oz!! what a darling card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in for one of your classes, too! Love the way you did this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just imagine... V. is taking your class!! Oh..I wish!! I love how you used that vinatge photo and all the elements are so beautiful together(that photo would have stumped me--LOL)! LOVE talking to you and I'm sure there will be more! I got all teary after..! Thanks, my friend!You are LOVED!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish, wish, wish I could take your class, you deliciously crafty babe - YOU! {*Swoon!} It's so FANTASTIC to see your amazing style and this glorious piece!

    {Give those Drs. some hell, sista! We need MUCH more of this crafty magic flowing though the bloglands! LOVE, love, love you, m'dear!}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors and those butterflies! What a great photo too...

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a handsome card! Sure wish I lived closer to you...would love to take classes from the Oz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I would be in that class also, if I lived close by. Just look at that amazing background! I keep staring at it. . .so beautiful! Hope your doctor visit goes really well. I'll be thinking about you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oz ~ this is one adorable card. I'm pleased to hear you are back teaching... wish I could join your classes. Don't overdo it though!!! We want to keep seeing all these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Linda - this is absolutely divine - from the image to the butterflies and everything inbetween! I just love your style - love it! Thanks for joining us on the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge - we love to see your wonderful work and would love to see you again next week! {{{hugs}}}
    Linda MMSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card :) I love all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Oz you have created another Gorgeous Card. The victorian velvet is stunning with the photo. I would love to thumb through that dagnabit book with ya I bet it really is a Gem. I love how you torn your papers edge and distressed with vintage photo. The little face in the corner kinda looks like a ghost and the photo of the boy holding flowers maybe on his way to deliver them to her. I love stopping by your blog to see your amazing talent and you always make me smile and laugh as I read your post.
    Thanks for joining us this week at midnight Madness Sketch Challenge.
    Dawn - MMDT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi friend! Always love coming to visit you! All new cards on my blog. http://www.thestudio56.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to check in and find new entries! Your work is as amazing as ever! Hope all goes well with those doctors! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda, hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. We are all thinking of you over at the Hero Arts group and miss you dearly! Pop in if you get the chance and say hello. All our love xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm thinking about you, too - sending you LOVE and white light, until your return! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had fun last night at the scrappy bowl!
    Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so sweet, I love vintage photos and use them when ever I can, especially on the challenges on Tag Tuesday. I'm following you now, I love your style. Maybe you could follow me. Would love to take a class with you. I just entered a card in the HA flickr pool for this month's CAS challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Precious photo for your lovely card. The color you used is fabulous.

    Jani
    aka Paper Compulsions

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment, knowing you stopped just makes me giddy!